Monday, July 5, 2010

Caution... brutal honesty lies ahead!

Ok so if you are from Lehi or the surrounding cities, you may have heard of a crazy little thing called the "Miniature Float Parade." If you haven't heard of it... Here's my very opinionated summary on the whole ordeal. The miniature float parade is when all the wards in Lehi waste a lot of time and money building a 8 x 10 foot float for the primary children to ride on or walk beside in the 95+ degree heat. Sounds like a good time right? Well, Marc and I were CALLED (that's right they make it a calling) to be the float committee chair people. I'm sure that you can tell from my tone that I was thrilled about this!
Since we, the South's, are really good at procrastinating we had 2 crazy, crammed weeks of non-stop floating. After almost getting a divorce we finally finished the damn thing, and then had two days of hell to make it through the two, yes you heard me TWO parades.
Ok, so the theme for the parade was "Guess What I Saw..." and we decided that we would use "Guess What I Saw On Safari".
We started with a barbie jeep and took off from there.

Then I cut out letters on the Cricut, glued them to styrofoam, Marc cut out the styrofoam with his saw and spray painted them black then I glittered all of them one by one... WASTE OF TIME!

The easiest thing that we did was rent some zebras from Modern display... Oh wait but then we had to transport them from Salt Lake.


Good thing Griffin didn't mind the company.

We had a few trials just getting to the parade route. The float platform that the city provided didn't have a trailer hitch. When we called to "the Float Lady" to find out how we were supposed to transport this little beauty we were instructed to "have someone sit in the trunk of the car and hold onto it, or have someone sit on the back of a 4-wheeler and hold on to it and just drive real slow." Yep that's right, we live in LEHI! So, on our first attempt the welding on the pull broke and I was sitting on the back of the float holding onto a zebra as we went careening into the curb. It was hilarious. I didn't know what to do except to hold on to that zebra. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of that little diddy, but I did get a picture the next day when we were losing the tree and Marc had to do some emergency, roadside repair.
When we finally got there it was evident that we had no clue what we were doing. Some of these Lehites have been doing this for years and they really know their stuff. There were several floats that were darling! I have no desire to be one of them, so our mediocre float was good enough for me.
Thanks to Dan at Alexanders for donating this banner to us!

Our little primary kids wore safari hats and binoculars and some of the younger ones wore animal hats. They were cute.
The tree was supposed to look like it had binoculars with huge eyeballs coming out of it, but it kind of just ended up looking like short circuit...
After all was said and done we still know that the church is true even though our testimonies waivered there for a minute. Ok, well Negative Nancy is signing off now. Sorry for my brutal honesty. I guess I just wanted to document this so that when I look back I'll remember why I didn't post anything else, because we were working on this dumb float. Ok, for real Nancy, get out of here!
How cute is Griffin in this jeep?!

14 comments:

Torrey said...

Haha... Oh I amy dying over this post. You guys really did kill yourselves getting ready for this. I really thought your float was adorable and was impressed at how fun the parade was. So if it makes you feel better, your work was enjoyed :) So glad you are done... until next yearat least ;)

Tiffany said...

HILARIOUS....... seriously

Dave and Ashley Blackhurst said...

Oh, my hell. Time to get out of Lehi. But sheesh, you done good...so good, in fact, you'll probably NEVER get released. You know that, right?

Rachel said...

I can't tell you how much I love this post! When they look for volunteers for that crap-fest in our ward I hunch down low and give everyone dirty looks.
But-you do some amazing work. Maybe you should start volunteering your services to the city royalty floats. Now that would be big time!

Leesa said...

ok i seriously love you!! this post made me laugh so hard!! it all turned out so cute! they called you to that calling for a reason... look how TALENTED you are!! i am envious of your crafty ways!!

Annika said...

Oh I am so sorry! I loved how honest you were. I can only imagine! I don't think I would love to get that calling either. :) I thought your float looked amazing though!

Jana Banana E. said...

HAHAHA... I freaking miss you and I am so glad I saw you yesterday at the Hellish place some people call walmart!!! Oh and I actually updated my blog and thought I would find your blog!!! :) So here I am and your lil Griffin is SUPER CUTE!!! We need to have a play date with Rachel so just quit your job! ;)lol

Paul or Lindsay said...

Nancy,
I was there; your float was great! I'm cracking up over the documenting photos. I love the ones with the Zebra staring Griffin down in the car, and the one where Marc is taming the Zebra with ropes. You done good, Lehite! Glad you're recovered and still married!

Cort said...

I am absolutely rolling right now. The short circuit comment is really what got me...and the visual of you sandwiched between two zebras....it's hot. Oh man, this is classic.
It's like a gift from God or something....Amer I Can! and Amer U DID, it's awesome. Mediocre my ass!

da Silva Family said...

Holy cow!!! I'm super impressed!! You are so good at making things so cute!!I can't believe how big Griffin looks and that a calling exists that would inflict so much stress...maybe it's something you only have to do once!

Stephanie Taylor said...

I still stand by the "a year ago you wouldn't live in Lehi with the rest of us and now look at you! The float chairman!" Next thing you know, you'll be just like Carrie Dawson and have a hand in everything that goes on in this one horse town! Your float was darling and you will surely be blessed for enduring to the end. XOXO!

Natalie said...

So Funny!! Isn't Lehi the best?! Did you ever ask Shelley about her gig as mini-float chairman? I think she takes a similar attitude about the whole thing.

Michelle said...

You are so funny. I think it looks great. I am sad I didn't get to see it in person.

Jenn said...

Oh my goodness. That was laugh out loud funny. I am going to have Logan read this right now....