Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Zion Take II


We made another quick trip down to Zion National Park. We went with a couple of guys that Marc works with and some of their friends. I conquered two of my biggest fears. When it comes to heights and water I am a total wimp. Keyhole Canyon was our first hike of the day.



We started hiking just off the highway. We hiked up the slickrock, through the sand and dropped down off the back of this peak.


Keyhole is a very narrow and deep slot canyon with the coldest water in Zion. We were not messing around with that so we pulled out the wetsuits.


This was my first experience with repelling. It was so amazing. The first repel was about 80 feet.


And you land in water...
The canyon was so beautiful and there is another adventure around every corner.



You end by swimming down a VERY LONG, DEEP, DARK corridor
I found that it really helped me if I screamed and freaked out as much as possible.


We made it out alive and moved on to the next canyon. Pine Creek Canyon was our next endeavor. You have to have a permit for this hike also. There are more repels on this hike and again water for you to swim through.
This repel was beautiful. It's called the cathedral.



The swim through some nasty, stinky deep, murky water


This is the beautiful view right before the last repel which is 105 feet.







This was one of the best weekends of my life. I am so lucky to have a husband that will take me on his adventures and has faith in me that I can do it! Thanks babe, I love you!

12 comments:

Kelsey, Greg, and Olivia said...

You two are some serious hikers! That looks so fun, but scary. I'm so impressed with you for daring to do that. How fun!

Megan said...

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!...stop going on amazing adventures! I'm jealous! But I must say, I wouldn't dare do half that stuff! You GO!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you sister! You are brave and strong and such a great role model. Way to conquer and reap the reward. The pictures are gorgeous and I'm glad you took the chance. YOU ROCK!

The Rocking Radmalls said...

You really need to just quit making me jealous! How fun. I haven't done anything like that in about a decade. I'm proud of you for braving the murky waters below! Oh. And for scaling the mts. Just fun!

Tanaca King said...

You are so brave! I dont think I could have swam in the dark scary water! Way to go dudes! Cant wait to see what is next

Cort said...

So jealous! I'm just going to call my blog, keeping up with the Souths. That's why in the movie I made a couple years ago has the song about wanting to be just like you. You're so cool.

Cort said...

When it comes to water and heights, you're NOT a wimp, you're amazing! You faced every fear across the Canadian boarder, across the Montana boarder and now right here in Utah. Although, I would have paid good money to see you flail through the slot canyon. Was Marc chanting, "you're ok, you're ok, you're ok?" There really was no better bonding than almost dying together.

Dan and Al Gardner said...

You go Girl!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I am so jealous. You guys look like you have so much fun. I am scared of heights and water that has fish in it. So I doubt I could get myself to do that. You are so awesome!

Emily said...

You are such a brave soul... I could never get into that water!!! And you can really fab up a wetsuit with your accessories! You look great Skinny Minnie!!! I am so proud of you! Love ya!!!

Tiffany said...

I get nervous just watching you repel! Great fun with your hubbie :)

Amy said...

Oh my gosh. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take me on that hike the next time I'm in Utah. I've never done it! And you know how much I love Zion. It looks like SOOOO MUCH FUN!

I miss you!!!