Monday, March 5, 2012

Extreme Makeover-- Lindsey Edition

Once upon a time, there was a sad, boring and blah room.... (ok, most of the rooms in my house fall into this category.)
Exhibit A:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So, I decided that it would be fun to paint some stripes on the walls to liven things up a bit. Here is my dear husband helping tape everything off. We got started at about 9:30 p.m.
Photobucket

So we taped (which I think we finished around 12:30 a.m.) and since I'm crazy I stayed up to get the first coat of paint of paint on. I mean hey, if the boys are asleep, I gotta make the most of my time, right? So I think I finally made it to bed around 2:00 a.m.
Photobucket

Well, what was supposed to just be paint on the walls, ended up being a complete overhaul of the entire family room that would consume my every thought over the next couple of months. This led to many, many more late nights of work. But voila! Finally I am DONE! (for the most part)
Photobucket
See, those beautiful chairs above? It was love at first sight. I found them after I had painted the stripes on the walls. I had no idea how I was going to tie the two colors together, but I knew that I needed to own those chairs! So I just took off on my re-decorating adventure and I love the finished product!

Photobucket

Photobucket
So here we have some cheapy frames that I picked up from Walmart/ Hobby Lobby/ JoAnn. I just painted and glazed them to the colors I needed. I already had the clock.
Photobucket

Photobucket
These little beauties were given to us by Mark Bishop. I gave them several different paint jobs and ended up settling with boring old "divine white." I am still trying to find new hardware for them, but you can see a little peak of one in the picture above.
Photobucket

I got the paper mache "S" at JoAnn and wrapped it in Jute to give it some added texture. And, oh my, what darling boys I have!
Photobucket
Marc did all the manly stuff like building and installing a mount for his new tv, putting in surround sound, wiring everything through the cabinet, down to the crawl space, and out to the garage and getting all of the different devices hooked up so that they all work! He also installed two can lights above the sofa which I LOVE! So glad that he knows how to do all that handy stuff! What a stud! Check out the scary mess that my house was during the process of this project!
Photobucket

Photobucket

One of my favorite transformations were the bump-outs around the fireplace. They have driven me crazy ever since we moved in because I never knew what to put in them and I felt like no matter what I did, they looked like they were filled with knick knacky crap! I wanted to add bigger things to feel the space, texture and color. I ended up deciding to wallpaper a piece of masonite with paper that looks like old aluminum ceiling tiles. I love the texture and the wallpaper was WAY cheaper than buying actual tiles.
Photobucket
Then I just painted it with a metallic paint and, boo-yah!
Photobucket

This little beauty of an ottoman got a makeover too!
Photobucket
I really don't like reupholstering because it scares me and I'm no good at it, however, it is much cheaper than purchasing new furniture, so I gave it a try.
Photobucket
It sits nicely in the corner and we just pull it over in front of the chair when we need it. In fact I am sitting in the chair with my feet up on said ottoman as I type this!

Now, since I have absolutely no design background and I don't really know the difference between contemporary, traditional, modern, etc, I just went with what I like. This little bump out got a little touch of vintage. I found the vintage umbrella at a consignment store. I love the wooden handle. I found the old train cases at an antique store and the vintage polaroid camera belonged to my grandparents.
Photobucket

Photobucket
I made the little luggage tag. No matter how hard I try to not do crafty crap, I always end up sneaking it in. I guess it's part of my style?
Photobucket

I knew that we could not afford new sofa's, but I wanted to update what we had so I just made new pillows for them. The best part is that they are removable pillow covers that I can take off and throw in the wash. Boy friendly! Yay!
Photobucket

So, I also made new draperies for the window. I made them out of burlap because I love the texture, color and price ($2.40/ yard thank you very much). Well, just in case you were wondering the lady who cuts fabric at Hobby Lobby thinks that burlap for draperies is a BAD IDEA and she will try to talk you out of it for approximately 30 minutes after the store closes. She will tell you how burlap will shed and your children can ingest it and it will be bad for them. She will show you many other options that she thinks that you should use which are three or four times more expensive. But, in the end you should just go with the burlap because you will LOVE it!
Sorry, for the not so great photos. I had to take these at night because I couldn't get a good one during the day.
Photobucket

Photobucket
The table belonged to Heath and Steph. It has been outside on their patio for a long time and has been pretty beat up. This made it perfect for us (since Griff likes to beat up on whatever he can find, and Luke is following quickly in his footsteps). So we chopped the legs off and BAM- coffee table/foot rest/ race track for many a cars! Our sofa, chair and ottoman also belonged to Heath and Steph once upon a time. We have been the lucky recipients of lots of their gently used items! Donka!Photobucket


Photobucket

Thank you Heath for helping me make major decisions for this room and teaching me about the "smell test" at the antique store. Thank you for spending 10 hours running around with me on your day off! Thank you for donating the table.
Thank you Mark Bishop for donating the end tables.
Thank you mom for helping me figure out how to go about doing the ottoman.
Thank you Marc for your obvious skills and for your patience with me over the last two months.

So, not too bad for a room done on the cheap, eh? P.S. I made 21 pillows and bought 5 for this project. Yeah, I like pillows, I guess.

10 comments:

jmemay said...

I LOVE IT! So Fun! You are so talented :) If only I had the motivation to do anything in my house.

Jo said...

So...if your Living room was BLAH before you are not ever allowed in my house because I shudder at the verdict. ;-p And your room looks so nice. I think I need to get you to make me some pillows. Maybe only four or six though. Not quite 20 million.

Dave and Ashley Blackhurst said...

Oh, Miller! Nic was right...you are certainly a leader, at least of the decorating sort.

The room looks GREAT! Good thing you made that luggage tag because that just tied the whole room together. But really, love the chairs and the pillows and the stripes. Thanks for putting us all to shame;)

Natalie said...

Pillows make a room, so I'm thinking the 21 pillows are awesome!! Um yeah, to reiterate the above comment, your "scary mess" is my house every day. Your room looks fantastic; I wish it were mine!

Heath said...

Loos great! What's next?

Kelly said...

Oh my GOSH you are the cutest thing EVER!!!! Can you please come to my house? Or maybe don't, because I think I will copy everything you did...

Lindsay said...

Miller! You kill me...with talent and craziness! I love that you go all out when you decide to do something. Pretty sure that's how I got roped into a marathon.

This result is a lot prettier than the result of a marathon though. If only I didn't live 2000 miles away, I'm pretty sure I'd drag you to Home Goods to help out many a room in this place!

In other words, I love it!!

Stephanie said...

Oh Hyacinth! It truly is delightful - I love all of it and it is just amazing in person - the pictures don't do it justice. I'm so proud of you sister and your amazing talent. You've made everything look so great, I think I want the couches and table back! JK. LOL. Beautiful work. XOXO

Annika said...

You are amazing and so talented! This room looks awesome. I am so jealous! I need help in the decorating department...

Josh said...

I have to admit I've been blog stalking you for some time now via Lindsay and Paul's blog (I hope that doesn't creep you out). I have been amazed at your creativity and I just wanted to tell you that your room makeover is awesome! You should try out for a show or something. - Kasey (Roundy)